Monday, March 3, 2008

Banana Man

Cooper is one picky kid. I thought babies this age were supposed to be pretty much eating everything you put in front of them! Not so with Coop. You may be interested to know that this kid did NOT like any of the pureed foods we started trying to feed him at 6 months. Nope, he didn't want any of that. So, basically, he was exclusively breastfed for 12 months. Once that 1 year mark was up, though, I was done, DONE!!! He took to cow's milk okay. Though, we realized he was getting way too much milk after a couple of episodes of severe constipation. (I could talk about all of that in another blog post).
You would think the kid would like the sweet tasts of fruits, like applesauce, peaches, pears, etc. Nope, not really. He does like bananas, though (see pics below). He likes some weird stuff like scrambled eggs, refried beans, ice cream, and um, there's really not much else. Oh, he'll eat other things, but only like 1 or 2 bites. When I told our pediatrician about this, he told me I needed to stop giving him snacks in between meals. What? I thought we were supposed to give snacks between meals and the only reason I do it is because the kid does not eat when it IS meal time!
Cooper started out around the 75th percentile for both height and weight in his first 4 months of life, then he was a "text book baby" at 6 months when he was right on the 50th percentile for both height and weight. At his 1 year check-up he had dropped down to the 25th percentile for height and weight. I'm starting to think his picky eating habits are affecting his normal growth patterns. If any of you have any tips or comments about getting kids to eat, let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about kids, not eating, mine just have the problem of not sleeping through the night...
However, I know your pain a little. My brother lived on peanut butter sandwiches until he got to high school and added steak and maybe an occasional hamburger. No fruits or veggies, or fish though...then he got sent to Tonga on his mission, where they have fresh fruit and fish everyday and the meat is better if you don't know what it is(horse/dop/cat/etc...) Needless to say, he learned to eat, and is not a little guy, so maybe your answer to your prayers will come 19 years later, like it did for my mom! Love ya, Dawn

Adam and Sarah said...

Couldn't tell ya! Amber was an excellent eater until most recently. Now she hates eating REAL food. If you discover some amazing technique, though, feel free to share it! :)

Rhiannon said...

Don't worry, mine do it too! They are little bean polls, but I figure as long as I offer then they will eat when the need too!

Are you working as a nurse now? I have tons of questions for you about nursing. Mind if I ask them every now and then?