Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Kylie's First Day of School

Kylie went to her first day of kindergarten today. She was so excited last night that she didn't want to go to sleep; then this morning she woke me up at 6:45 a.m. to ask me if she could get dressed for school. Her class doesn't meet until 12:37 p.m., so I told her she had to wait until after she ate breakfast and lunch so that she didn't get her new outfit all dirty. I ended up getting up at 7:00 anyway because Coop decided to wake up and poop in his pants. :P
We had French toast for breakfast (thanks to Nana for getting my kids hooked on French toast!). I spent the morning slowly getting Kylie ready and I didn't realize time had gone by so fast when I looked at the clock and saw that it was already 11:30. Kylie was still in the bathtub, I hadn't taken a shower, and I needed to feed Kylie lunch. The next hour was a whirlwind of trying to find a decent pair of shoes for Kylie to wear, doing her hair (I had planned on doing something really cute, but I ended up doing the same thing that I always do with her hair--stick a flower barrett in it. At least it was one she had never worn before.), fixing her lunch, coaching her to eat it as fast as she could, and taking some pictures. I took a shower, but I went to the school with my hair wet and no make-up. I looked fabulous! :P
Anyway, I had gone the whole morning without a single "Oh, my baby's going to school for the first time," or a "Oh, she's growing up too fast," thought going through my head. I thought I would be able to drop her off at school without a sniff or a tear running down my face, but when Mr. Plott, her teacher, told all the kids to wave 'bye' to their parents and to tell them that they'd be back, I totally lost it. I watched her march in her class line into the school without even glancing back at me. So sad. For me. Oh well, I will get over it...soon.
Here's Kylie eating her lunch of a peanut butter sandwich, string cheese, pears, apple juice, and princess gummy vitamins. (Oh, did I get all of the food groups in there? Oh, yes I did! Such a good mommy!) She ended up eating lunch WITH her new clothes on. She did a really good job of eating really fast and not making a mess on her clothes by eating over her plate. You should have heard her when I was telling her to not mess up her clothes, "Oh mom, I'll just eat over my plate," like she was this expert on how to eat properly. I had to laugh.In her new school clothes from Nana and Papa.So excited!Here's Kylie standing in her class line. Look how big the blonde-haired kid is next to her! The red-headed kid on her other side ended up crying and running back to his mom when the kids walked into the school. Ha! My kid didn't even look back at me! *sniff*She looked so little out there! At the same time, though, I was thinking, "She's getting too big too fast."
I'm going to miss you Kylie! Have fun at school! Love, Mommy.

10 comments:

Crazycozartclan said...

She started early! I thought that we had the earliest start date of the 18th. The kindergarteners don't go back around here until the 25th. You did really well, I was just like you. I held it together until they turn and walk away without so much as a backward glance. Congrats Kylie

Anonymous said...

Our baby girl is growing up way to fast. You guys have prepared her for this. She looks so cute and so sure of herself. It's mom and dad who have a hard time.
So what did you do Kim beside cry all the way home????

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from Nana

Gail and Steve said...

Papa is soooooooooo excited for you all. That's my Kylie.

Love Papa

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

Oh Kim! I had to LEAVE fast before I started to cry! It was so hard! Lily told me "you have to let me go mommy, Mrs Thayer blew her whistle!!" Ahh and she didnt even look back at me when she marched off. Jake got a tear in his eye and said "wow, we are officially old... we have a school age child!" I am sure Kylie loved Mr. Plott, he is so fun. I really wish I would have chose him. Lily LOVES her teacher, but Mr Plott is so different and FUN!

Dawn Rae said...

Is she is private school or year round...why did they start so early? How exciting for her, she looks so adorable! Lexi missed the deadline by two days! She already knows all her letters (sounds and writing), and can count money. It is going to be a long year, but I think it will be better if she is the oldest one when she gets to high school.

Adam and Sarah said...

Oh my holy moly! I still can't believe she's started Kindergarten! She looks adorable all dressed up for it. And I think it is so dang cute that she was so excited for it. "Mommy, how many more days until I start Kindergarten?" :)

Kim said...

FYI, Mom, Cooper fell asleep on the way home so I posted this blog, worked out, and took another shower. It was weird having three hours all to myself.
Dawn-yes, she is in a year-round school.

Autumn said...

She is so cute! I am glad I have a long time before I send mine to school, I know it will go by fast.

Melissae said...

Katherine's first day was today...I was so sad (but proud at the same time!)

Katherine was great...until it was time for me to leave. Then she cried, which made me cry! I had been doing so good too! :-p

I'm going to try to get a post up tonight about it...I haven't put anything up since we've moved!

I'm glad Kylie is enjoying school!