Monday, April 21, 2008

I Did It!!!

I completed my first half-marathon on Saturday in 2 hours 7 minutes and 59 seconds. I did so much better than I thought I would. I had been training to run 11 minute miles, but I ended up running an average of 9 minute 46 second miles, so I think my training really paid off. I have to say this was one of the most exhilarating and fulfilling moments in my life. The spectators throughout the race and the crowds at the end were awesome. I saw Jill and my kids cheering me on. The "feel good" goosebumpy feelings I got are addicting! I think I'm going to have to keep doing this! I've already recruited my sister and Scott into doing it next year. Anybody else want to do it???
Not so exhilarating (more like excruciating) are the intense muscle pains shooting through my legs every time I move. This morning I forgot that I was still sore and hopped out of bed a little too fast. I had to brace myself on the dresser while my legs screamed in pain. Oh, wow, it hurts a lot! But it's worth it.
If you want to see spectacular pics of me running you can go to www.marathonfoto.com and bring up Salt Lake City Marathon, type in my last name, and my bib #7793. All of the pictures, including the one of me crossing the finish line should be up by Tuesday morning. The half marathon results are also posted on http://www.racecenter.com/results/2008/slchm08.htm.
Runners racing to the finish line through Gateway mall.
We ate at the Red Iguana on Friday night. Red Iguana is the most awarded Mexican restaurant in the state of Utah. It was very good grub.
Jill with Kylie the goof.

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Tried training for half nmarathon back in '98. Not a good feeling for me, I came home with bleeding toes every time. That pretty much ended any aspirations to continue running after high school. Besides I am a middle distance runner not long distance.

Kim said...

Sounds like you need better shoes.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME girl. What a thrill. We did get to see the marathon pics. They were great.
The pics that you put on the blog were great. But whos hairline does Cooper have?? The babies are beautifullllllll. Love to you all. Mom and Dad or Nana and Papa

Adam and Sarah said...

Good job, Kim! Adam said you wanted me to do it next year... I'm kind of thinking no. But at the same time it'd be cool to be able to accomplish a really awesome goal like that. I'll let you know if I get a little crazy and change my mind! :D hehe